This is one of the most important topic that comes from any art student. Many think to be an artist need some special qualities. But the reality is different from fiction. Art is an universal language and it can understood by all, from the early man to the present computer savvy modern man. Their are a few requirements to become an artist. This is different from "how to become a great artist". I will talk about that later. But first how to become an artist.
You need to have the following basic requirement's:
- Lots and lots of interest in art,
- Don't take art lightly be serious,
- Learn all that is available about art and its related areas,
- Study how to compose a painting, light and color, perspective, human anatomy,still life, landscape, flowers, animals etc.,
- Practice a lot,
- Study paintings of not only great artist but also fellow artists,
- Go to the local art gallery and have a chat with the curator,
- Study art works from museums,
- Learn about the artists life and his/her inspiration towards their art,
- Learn from books, websites and blogs ( like this ... lol),
You may not like still life or landscape paintings but it is necessary to learn. Because the learning helps you to understand you need better and it will help in achieving the painting you want to create. The techniques will be useful to create the kind of painting you cant you create.
Select the medium you like the following are the common medium:
- Water Color,
- Digital ( The New member in the list )
But how to select the medium, to find this --- try all, you will like one and you may not like the other. Once your inner self tells you that is the medium i like, then that is your medium.
Once you have selected you medium, select a good book or a good art institute in your local neighbourhood. Enroll their and from their you journey begins into the fantastic world of art.
Understand what your art instructor says and analyse it. Discuss it with your friends and log in to art communities on the Internet and share your thoughts. This will give you more ideas and exposure. Study art from all angles and the most important don't be afraid to experiment. Who knows an experiment you do may turn into a masterpiece.
Do post your experiences in your art school or in your art carrier here, I will be happy to know.